WMMRC 2026
Janske Lazne, Czechia
27 June 2026
22km, 1300m vert, 2h40m
https://strava.app.link/61VRqSJzj4b
Holiday 2026 was somewhat built around this running race, which meant that Nikki, Amelia and I had an awesome 4 week holiday in Europe (and Seoul)๐
The Race
This year I opted for the long distance race, which took place during a proper heat wave. We'd been traveling Europe in 30+ heat, and race day (at 600m on the side of a ski resort) was still 30 degrees!
We had the opening ceremony parade!
I had a good training buildup, and was hoping for top half of the field. I was cautious, however, of the extreme temperatures, since I'd never raced on such a hot day.
The kiwis (Karen, Dayna and I) started at 8.30am in bright sun and already 28C.
The first 6km is straight up a ski slope under a gondola, with a couple of detour downhills to add to the uphills. I (wisely I think) chose to use running poles, but I was still largely power walking up the very steep hill. I moved ahead of Dayna early, and overtook Karen after 1km.
Once we summited Cerna Hora, we ran off into the back hills, over a mixture of gravel road, grassy fields and some nice single track. Not much flat ground though!
I was taking it conservatively... More jogging than running... The heat was stifling! Over 50% was in direct sunshine, the rest under trees.
I drank my Saloman vest dry with 1.4 liters in the back reservoir. The organizers added some extra aid stations (total of 6), and I took a full (large! 350ml) drink at each.
I was feeling hot and tired the entire run, and never really out of second gear. But at least I didn't crash and burn and didn't get cramp๐๐
At the 15km mark we re-summitted the peak and then enjoyed a steady steep descent to the edge of town where we looped around some nice shady trails.
I finished steadily and felt mostly ok at the end. Yay!
https://youtu.be/c_NV0ZTST-U?feature=shared
I ran 2.40.30, which was faster than I anticipated, but my placing was worse than I hoped. I was 30th of 42 (plus I think 16 people opted not to start due to the hot weather forecast)
We Clarks watched as Karen finished the race and then promptly collapsed from heat exhaustion! She was in the recovery tent for ages, semi conscious, vomiting, shaking and not improving, so the medics called an ambulance.
I travelled with her in the ambo to the Trumlov hospital and after various dramas, incoherent conversations in Czech/English, unsecured ambulance rear doors, collapsed veins, more vomiting, concern about renal failure, failed IV lures etc and a couple of hours, she recovered.๐
https://youtube.com/shorts/ncKTLDNjvZ8?feature=shared
Nikki and Amelia later picked me up in our hire car from the hospital, while Dayna helped Karen and later got her home.
Post Run
The spa town was a weird place, with a mix of invalids and athletes.
I recovered well from the run, with only slightly sore legs etc.
Good fun, and nice to catch up with Mark and William again, and Karen and Dayna (and husband Paul), who we later bumped into in Kutna Hora!
Comments
Post a Comment