Gold Coast Marathon 2024

 

Gold Coast Marathon 2024


7 July 2024
42.195km, 3:23:05


25th of 300 M55
https://www.strava.com/activities/11825752573
https://results.timingsports.com/list/goldcoastmarathon/2024/42KM/

We 4 had a nice trip to the Gold Coast, staying at Broadbeach.

The run
The weather forecast prior to Sunday was looking dire, but it turned out lovely! No wind, cool and clear.
I got up at 3:45am, and caught the tram easily over to the startline. I wore a singlet, which was great. (left a drop-bag at the start/finish)
I ran well. 4:44/km pace roughly for the first 2/3rds (I needed 4:51/km for a 3:25 time for Boston Qualifying)
My quads got sore at about the 30km mark, and were really tired/sore by the end. I slowed in the last 10km, but only down to about 4:55 pace, so still nicely on track. I could feel that I 'could' have cramped, but no actual issues at all.
I used my Saucony Endorphin Pro 3 yellow shoes which were fantastic and light and comfy.
I felt faint at the end after stopping and had to sit down to recover.
My quads were sore for most of a week afterwards, but I was able to start running a bit more normally 7 days after the marathon. (I didn't stress my 'system' too much, mostly just my legs I think)

I had a gel or muesli bar every 40 mins, and swallows of water most drink stations.

Nikki and Amelia watched me pass literally by the apartment (Talisman) and then managed to get ebikes and cycled over to see me finish, which was superb since the trams exits to Southbank park were uncrossable!

Comments