Auckland Road Champs 10km 2023

 

Auckland Road Champs 10km 2023

20th August 2023


https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/11829245443
https://www.strava.com/activities/9682337783

Race Day
I ran in the Auckland Road Race 10km 2023 (GP5) at Bruce Pulman Park.


I had a solid run. Positive split but I was cautious to not run tooo fast in the first half, and only slowed down a moderate amount in the second half.
I chased (and wind-sheltered behind) Glenn Wright much of the way until he moved ahead with 2km to go.
I was first in 55+ (out of 6), but both Glenn and another 60+ guy narrowly beat me.

My weight had somehow crept up to 72kg recently, which didn't help my speed and was probably why I ran 40:05 (for 10km on my watch) (and another 34 seconds slower on their official results at the end of the full distance!)


The weather was a bit windy, but the rain held off. (the roads were wet). The course is beautifully flat, although there are a bunch of corners.

I had a reasonable preparation, but perhaps wasn't fully recovered from a couple of hard recent runs?
So a satisfactory result but a fairly slow time objectively. 



Comments