National Cross Country Champs 2023

 

National Cross Country Champs 2023

29th July 2023


https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/11664260199
https://www.strava.com/activities/9540043405

Race Day
I drove solo down to Taupo for the National Cross Country on the Taupo Spa course. This was the precisely same course as last year, and the weather was similar. (Cold but clear and zero mud in spite of rain earlier in the week). Perfect conditions for running fast.

Race
11:00am starting gun and we were off! 
Last year I had failed to maintain my starting pace through to the end of the race, so this year I told myself to go a little slower initially to give myself a better overall time. I checked my first kilometer split and it was 3:51..... eek! too fast!

However I was feeling strong and fast, and ended up running every kilometer about 5..10 seconds faster than last year, which I was super happy with. (My overall time was 50 seconds faster than 2022). I did suffer and slow in the last half of the race, but overall did as well as I could have hoped.

I was overtaken by 2 of the 55+ age group guys with several kilometers to go, which in retrospect pushed me out from 3rd place to 5th place. There was no way I could keep up with them (they beat me by over 1 minute by the end)

Warm Down
After chatting to Sasha and Nick Moore and James Kuegler, a group of us Auckland runners did a lovely warm down run down to the river and along towards Huka Falls (but not that far). Fab!

This group is (I think):
Sasha, Simon Hitchcock (https://www.strava.com/athletes/27601671) Wesley, Tim Hitchcock,  Nick Moore, Me, Simon Mace, James K

Wrap
I wore my Hoka Tecton X shoes, which were ideal. Some people were wearing spikes and some were wearing normal running shoes. The ground was soft and forgiving but not muddy or slippery at all.
I really pummeled my legs and cardio, and had aching legs for a day or two afterwards. On quite a high though from it :)
In retrospect, a few more very hard 5km runs or intervals would likely have helped, but my weight was down to 70kg of muscle and I had good fitness.

Liz (From technical) was there, but pinged her calf after 5 seconds of running.
Maria K was there, but not feeling well and I didn't see her.

 

Comments