UTMB Day 5

16 September 2022
https://www.relive.cc/view/vAOZoMBXko6

Our run today unusually started off with a 10km undulating downhill.
I felt pretty good, without sore knees or feet or back. My dodgy ankle was fine. My quads were fairly rubbished from days of abuse, but they had stabilized at a status of 'achy and uncooperative', which was ok.
We ran down from La Fouly, passing amazing old Swiss villages.
We then headed up the first climb of the day, passing a cave.
We got up to a funny historic rock face with a ladder up it. (You can just see it on the RHS of the photo below)

View from the top.

Naturally I had to climb up, which was admittedly moderately terrifying (and which I did before the guide (responsible for our safety) turned up).



From here it wasn't too far up to the lovely Lake Champex.
I convinced Mark to swim with me.


We now had some fast single track running. I wasn't feeling quite as frisky as yesterday, and mostly Mark and Jason set the pace today. Lovely running though.
At times we had big views down into the Rhone valley.
A big climb and then descent led us to Trient for the night.





Where the view from my hotel room was adequate...
So another really good day. Anna did fall and cut her knee a little, but it's fine. Hannah has got a cold or maybe covid, but is better today. Jason's sore heel has got better. The two groups are running separately, but are only separated by about 90 minutes at the day's end.
Only one more day of running until we finish in Chamonix. It will be sad to end!
The forecast for tomorrow includes snow... Should be interesting..!




Comments