UTMB Day 4

Thursday 15 September
This was the longest day of our 6 day tour, being 32km and over 2000m vert.
The forecast was for some showers, but in the end it was almost all dry and rather overcast. Perfect for running 😬

I woke feeling pretty refreshed, with only moderately sore legs. I decided that if I felt better than yesterday...  then I'd best run harder today! 😳

After singing happy birthday to jonn's remote wife, we set off from Courmayeur.
The route immediately kicked into a brutal 800m ascent for us to power hike up. Eek! By now I was using my carbon fiber running poles to good effect, and they certainly help on steep uphills.
After climbing all this way up, Mark and I had some fun. There was basically 10km of undulating single track to sprint along. It was damp and fairly technical in places. 




Mark is a mad fast fell runner, and we fair flew along at a mad (decidedly unsafe) pace. 


This was just so so much fun!

No more jogging conservatively today🤪, instead I hung out at the front, especially on the fast runnable sections.


Here is our crew with Bruno today:

Now we dropped down 300m to avoid some pesky river chasms and we had a bite to eat.

I was still feeling really strong today (in spite of running much harder), and I led up a bulk of the final big climb of 800m up to the Col de Grand Ferret where we entered Switzerland.
Now we had another long and beautiful run down to our destination of La Fouly.
This is Neil, me and Mark.

We arrived at the end, weary but amazingly not injured or demolished. My Hoka texton X shoes have been ridiculously comfortable. (Plus Hayden Hawks says that he races in them, so they must be fast)




Comments